Saturday 21 July 2012

PRODIGY - H.N.I.C. 3

PRODIGY
H.N.I.C. 3
2012

Not much good has been said about Prodigy's latest effort.
I know lyrically P isn't all that anymore, but i enjoy this
album for what it is. I have to say as much as i love
Mobb Deep and the first H.N.I.C., it took awhile
to fully get myself to sit down and bump this album.
But when I did, I was pleasantly surprised after all.
The first three tracks are killer with the kind of rawness
that sells tracks to me despite the apparent lack of
a smooth or soulful melody i'm usually a sucker for
(eg. track four 'My Angel') cultivating in straight up
dopeness with Pretty Thug. Mean mug all the way.
'Co-Pilot' has a really dope vibe to it and thankfully
Wiz fuckin Khalifa doesn't ruin it too much in the end.
(does that dude ever flow and not fuckin pause
after every 6 words? fuckin lame i swear).
Another nice cut with a really smooth vibe is
'Live' which is just awesome to just listen to.
But then tracks like 'Make It Hot' and 'Get Money'
 are just a no no. This the type of bullshit that
just doesn't fit on certain rapper's albums.
The subpar production continues with 'Life Is...'
though it's slightly better than previous two tracks.
Still, not good P. Whack hook on top.
'Award Show Life' is getting there again, but really
this feels like a filler joint that doesn't offer much.
When Havoc finally comes to play, it's all good again, 
though i did expect a lot more...but it's a nice cut.
The rest of the album continues to just sit above
mediocre with the only real stand out 'Let Me Show You'
though it's still not classic M.O.B.B. The last track with T.I.
is an odd pairing but so was P & B.G. and that was tight .

1. Without Rhyme Or Reason 4.5/5
2. Slept On 4/5
3. Pretty Thug 5/5
4. My Angel 5/5
5. Co-Pilot 4/5
6. Live 5/5
7. Make It Hot 2.5/5
8. Get Money 2.5/5
9. Life Is What You Make It 3/5
10. Award Show Life 3/5
11. Who You Bullshittin ft. Havoc 4/5
12. Skull & Bones 4/5
13. Smack That Bitch 3/5
14. Let Me Show You 4.5/5
15. Gangsta Love 3/5
16. What's Happening 4/5

Overall is not a bad album per se but with lackluster lyrics
and one half of the album mediocre production this album just
doesn't rise above what P should've been able to deliver here.
Overall Score: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment