Wednesday 31 July 2013

TECH N9NE - SOMETHING ELSE

TECH N9NE
SOMETHING ELSE
2013
Oh boy, where do i begin...Ah yes...my love for
Tech N9ne and all he's ever done. I've been the
biggest fan since before Absolute Power and twice
i had to give him Album Of The Year for Everready
and K.O.D. All 6's And 7's came close too.

The excitement i felt when anticipating Everready, 
then bumping it for the first time and having it on
repeat non-stop for the next couple of months, has
been my yardstick ever since. 
So needless to say, i'm a huge fan. And i bought everything
he's ever put out, including most other artists on Strange.
So you can imagine my huge disappointment here.
Simply put, this album is...well...as much as i shit on 
the artists that don't deserve to be in the game and ruined
it (the kanye's, jigga's, asap's, kendrick's, montana's, future's,
etc etc, the list goes on, grrr), i have to take a dump on 
Something Else too. It's just not good..at all.
Out of the 19 tracks (not including skits/interludes)
there's only 5 great tracks and 5 good. That's just sad.
Tech has chosen terrible beats for the latter half of the album.
Tech is Tech and will always be king, and on
some tracks he does show what he's capable off, but the
majority of the production just falls short. 
Maybe i'm spoiled, and perhaps i should give it more
time, and maybe someday i will love the fuck out of it.
But for now, i'm disappointed.
A great example of how it all could've been, is the opening 
track "Straight Out The Gate", which is vintage tech
and this is how i wished the whole album was.
But halas. 
Let me just rip this a new one...

1. Skit 1
2. Straight Out The Gate
Like I said, excellent start to the album.
Great production, with awesome melodies
that let Tech switch things up and create his
usual magic. 5/5
3. B.I.T.C.H.
Again, another dope collabo with T-Pain.
The whole track made me think of T. Haddy
though and i kinda wished he was the one
doing the hook. But T. Haddy is Christian Rap/RnB,
so i doubt he'd ever sing those lyrics. 5/5
4. With The BS
Typical Strange track that's been dominating
most of their recent releases. A little too much
perhaps, but this one grows towards the end
and it is a tight one. 4.5/5
5. Love 2 Dislike Me
It's not that i'm not into
this metal/rap merger, I think it's hella
dope, especially when Tech does it. But this
track is lacking anything remotely good.
The melodies and hook are plain ugly.
Despite a great start and some bright spots from
Tech, it's really just ugly man. Skip skip skip. 2/5
6. Fortune Force Field
I'm torn here. Dope verses but such dread sung parts
and shit ass hook. Towards the end you just want to
drown in a pool of pigs blood. Still, those verses
are fantastic. Like i said, i'm torn. 3/5
7. I'm Not A Saint
I can dig this. This could've easily been on
Welcome To Strangeland. Great vibe and Tech
truly shines on a nicely sampled beat. 5/5
8. Fragile
I hate Kendrick Lamar. I hate when girls sing like
Kendall Morgan. Truly annoying as fuck.
And yet, despite that, this track is quite amazing.
The hook gets on my nerves towards the end though,
but Tech's verse is killer! If only it was
just Tech. No kendrick, no Mayday. Still nice! 4/5
9. Priorities
I can admire the whole approach and all, but
Tech has done way better on Bad Season
(eg. Speed of Sound). It gets better towards the end
and Angel is pretty tight, but Game is no no. 3/5
10. Skit 2
11. Dwamn
First listen, dope! After that, it kinda fades...
It gets annoying quickly, the hook could've been more
and the chick sucks ass. Whomp Whomp anyone? 2.5/5
12. So Dope (They Wanna)
Finally! Fina'mutha fuckin'ly!
A dooope Tech with a tight beat. This is pretty much one of two
tracks reminiscent of the good ol' Tech. What a shame right? 5/5
13. See Me
This is the other one. Awesome track despite featuring
Wiz Khalifa (who's improved a little when on other people's tracks)
and BOB, who does deliver and catchy hook (as recycled as it
may be). But Tech is top notch here. 5/5
14. My Haiku - Burn The World
Another solid track with a mediocre Krizz Kaliko
(who disappointed me with his last 2 albs. Seriously
dude, what happened with your awesome hook abilities?).
It's not amazing, but it's got something to it. 4/5
15. That's My Kid
However dope Tech and Krit are, when Cee Lo comes in
with that shitty ass hook, i wanna chop my ears right off.
Ugh, it's fuckin hideous. I'll never get those 22 seconds
of my life back. Fuck man. 0/5
16. Meant To Happen
Wasn't a fan initially, but this was the only track
that did grow on me. Tech is awesome here.
Kinda reminds me of The Roots' Undun alb 4/5
17. Skit 3
18. Believe
Another shit song man. Horrible drums and
a god-aweful hook that annoys the shit out of me.
This is not Tech N9ne. I wondered who made him
pick this retarded production. 0/5
19. Skit 4
20. Strange 2013
Tech is on point here but i hate The Doors and
this sample is just cringe-worthy. Kind of a fail. 2/5 
21. Skit 5
22. Colorado
It's a nice track and all, with some
tight features, but it's no Midwest Choppers. 3.5/5
23. Drowning
What a perfect title!! 0/5
24. Thizzles
Tech shines, Danny Brown is crazy. Kinda dope yo! 4/5

Maybe i ripped too much into this?
I'm the biggest Tech fan, but that doesn't mean i'm
a dickrider. If it ain't good, it ain't good.
The bright spots don't really save this, and i can't believe
i'm gonna say this, but i won't even buy the album!
Thank god i decided not to pre-order, i feel no need
to ever listen to this again....

...well ok, i prolly will, it's still 
a new Tech album, who knows, it might grow on me,
but for now i'm just gonna pretend this wasn't released 
and keep my love for Tech intact. 
And bump the new Pastor Troy instead. Un huh!
Overall Score: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment